When is it Time to Get a Heating System Tune-Up?
The last thing that anyone wants during a cold winter is to have a malfunctioning heating system. Not only do you have to spend loads of money to repair the components, but you also have to go through a period of time without any heat. Your home or office space can become unbearably cold. That’s why we’re going to take a look at how often you should have your heating system inspected and what the benefits of having it inspected are going to be. Let’s get to it:
How Often to Get a Heating Inspection
It seems there’s some confusion among people as to how often they should have a heating system tune-up. However, the consensus from HVAC experts is that you should have your heating system inspected once per year. Having this done once per year will help your system last longer, saves you money on your monthly energy bill, and decreases risks to your health.
Benefits of Regular Inspection of Your Heating System
One of the most significant problems of not having your heating system maintained on a regular basis is that it might just stop running on a cold winter day without notice. In fact, some HVAC experts believe that around 75% of the calls that they receive about a heating system not working is from not having them inspected on a regular basis.
Besides, you may be unknowingly putting your health at risk if you aren’t having your heating system inspected on a regular basis. When a technician comes out to your home, they’re able to identify problems like carbon monoxide leaks. Carbon monoxide can lead to headaches, nausea, and even death if the problem goes undetected for too long.
Also, your system may not be running as efficiently as it could be if a technician were to locate problem areas. Inefficient heating systems tend to use more energy, which then causes you to spend more money on your monthly energy bill
How Much to Pay for an Inspection
An average heating system inspection shouldn’t break the bank. If you have a company out to do an inspection and a tune-up (also known as a cleaning), you’ll likely pay anywhere from $60 to $85.
There are several things that your technician should do in one of these tune-ups:
- Clean and service the heating system to improve efficiency
- Check through all of the controls to ensure that they’re functioning in a safe way
- Ensure the system runs at peak performance
- Checking thermostat settings
- Inspecting electrical connections to ensure that they’re working properly and won’t fail in the future
- Providing lubrication for moving parts
- Clearing drains
It’s important that you clarify what exactly the technician is going to provide for the price that you pay before you have them do the work. Feel free to call Beaufort Air Conditioning for a free quote.
3 Ways You Can Keep Your Heating System Running Smoothly
There are steps that you can take after you have a technician service your heating system to secure its efficiency for the rest of the year. Here are three very practical steps:
Change the Air Filters Regularly:
- Maybe the most important thing to do on a regular basis is to ensure that you’re changing your air filters (every three months or so). When you have a clogged air filter, it restricts the airflow of your heating system, leading to lower efficiency.
Use a Programmable Thermostat:
- You should also be using a programmable thermostat to save energy. Using an adjustable thermostat can save you as much as 10% of your energy bill. The recommendation is to turn your thermostat down around seven or eight degrees below the normal temperature for around eight hours per day. You could do this either during the workday or at night while you’re asleep.
Service New Installations:
- Also, it’s important that you have someone out for tune-ups (as well as your regular self-maintenance) on new units. Many people tend to think that they only need to have tune-ups done on older systems, but that just isn’t true. If you ever have to make a warranty claim on your system, the company has the right to ask you for your service records. If you can’t show that you’ve ever had a tune-up on your system by a professional, it’s likely you won’t be able to use your warranty.
Hiring the Right Technician for the Job
Your heating system is one of the most complex systems found in your home, so it’s important that you hire someone with the right qualifications and experience for the job. Don’t just look for the cheapest option.
Most states have licensing requirements for HVAC professionals, so check your state website to see what credentials you should look for when hiring a technician. If you’re having trouble finding the requirements, you can check with the National Contractor License Service to find each state’s license licensing requirements. You can also check with your local licensing agency, and you should always ask for references
To keep your heating system up and running well, it’s important that you have a tune-up done every single year by a qualified HVAC professional. It will help your system last longer, save you money on your energy bill, and protect you if you need to file for a warranty with your company.
However, it’s important that you do your research beforehand to ensure that you hire a reliable HVAC technician with all of the relevant qualifications.
If you’re looking to have a heating system tune-up done by a highly qualified HVAC technician, feel free to give us a call today! Our highly experienced team has worked on several projects, and they would love to hear from you.